I find all this a bit ludicrous, and take a more optimistic viewpoint. However, one subject must be broached when discussing any philosophy of human moral behavior, theistic, pessimistic, optimistic, whatever: the Holocaust. I'm not invoking Godwin's Law, here, I'm serious. Something about the Holocaust sets it far apart from other examples of mass violence. People will talk about Genghis Khan's death count, or Stalin's purges. If they really like to pull the whole "not so different" thing on Western culture they'll bring up Indian removal/smallpox. What sets the Holocaust apart, though, is the pointlessness of it. Jews (and gypsies and homosexuals and others, I know) were not threats to the Reich.The death camps were secrets, so no political power was gained as with the initial demonization of the Jews compared to Stalin's purges. Jews were already so persecuted as to lack significant property holdings--this was no land grab or economically-motivated genocide, like Indian removal. In the later years of the war, the Holocaust impaired the German army logistically--trains that could have carried troops to the front lines were instead packed full of undesirables. Hitler knew that effect. Hitler's commanders were aware of it. Yet the death camps remained open and operating even while they crippled the war effort. And for what? To punish, for crimes that never happened. To "cleanse", as if a group of people were a stain merely for common heritage.
It's not hard to make the logical leap from "if Holocaust, then human beings are bastards." How else do we explain it? How else do we come to terms with the fact that hundreds of apparently normal individuals willingly participated in the mechanistic extermination of strangers never shown to pose a threat to them and with no promise of material gain? What lurks in the hearts of men to permit that?
It's not hard to make the logical leap from "if charity, then human beings are kind-hearted." How else do we explain it? How else do we come to terms with the fact that millions of apparently normal individuals willingly participated in the physical reconstruction of Haiti, in the service of strangers never shown to offer an advantage to them and with no promise of material gain? What shines in the hearts of men and women to promote that?
Each of those paragraphs describes the same species. Certainly, differences exist. Nazi brainwashing is exactly as destructive as it sounds. Yet, many in Nazi Germany resisted the treatment of Jews. Many risked their lives, despite growing up in the same society. They were outnumbered, true. But this only proves my point: a potential for good exists in all circumstances. Let me quote Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett for a moment:
It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.
Thinking of people as "innately good" or "innately bad" reflects a very mystical view of the world in which "good" and "evil" are concrete, objective terms that are directly reflected in the laws of reality. In truth, life is not so simple. Good and evil are often commingled and difficult to untangle. Humans are, according to all available evidence, products of gradual biological evolution rather than being imprinted with divine fire or passing along an inherited original sin. Possibly unique among all animals, human intelligence rises to the point that a nebulous concept called "free will" becomes applicable. Humans aren't innately evil. Nor are they innately good. They are innately people, and that means they can act in uncountable different ways, sometimes at the same time.
I'm not a humanist because I believe that people are just naturally awesome. I'm a humanist because I believe that people can be good if given the chance. I'm not a humanist because I believe this will always happen. I'm a humanist because I believe it can. In an Orwellian nightmare world where no relationship was valued and no life had worth, I would still be a humanist, so long as I had the courage to realize the power, not of human virtue, but of human potential. And courage is exactly what it takes. If we were innately good, we could only conclude that any problems will solve themselves. If we were innately evil, we could only conclude that any problems were unsolvable. An innately human humanity, though, must face its demons not as overlords, but as surmountable challenges, and then ask itself: What's stopping us?

Deep stuff. The last paragraph is especially powerful. And, the last sentence is especially, especially powerful.
ReplyDeleteI noticed in the third paragraph you refer to the hearts of men, but in the fourth paragraph you include women. I'm just curious, did you do this intentionally?
Yes and no. When typing something like this, the writer in me wants to use "men" because it sounds way cooler than "people." The humanist in me would prefer gender-neutral terminology. Typing the first paragraph, I used men. Near the end of the second one, I realized I was being sexist in the vague sort of way that most people don't really consider sexist. So I used "men and women" there. I was going to go back and change it, but as far as I know Nazi Germany wasn't big on gender equality. I'm unaware of any real female presence in the camps (besides, obviously, the victims). Women, then, got spared from that particular example. In retrospect it might come off as reverse-sexism, I suppose. Women can be bad people too.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_guards_in_Nazi_concentration_camps
ReplyDeleteThis is why I ought to google things instead of assume!
lulz, yeah man I was going to say that Nazi women dealt with the female concentration camps.
ReplyDeleteanywho, i still love this post and you already clarified everything.
by the way, you got any updates to your blog anytime soon.. or whats up
Bleh, sorry. At one point I was humming around at a post a day, and it was good. And then I took a break and never quite got back in rhythm. I'll try to get something up tomorrow. (But! Dudes! Starcraft 2!)
ReplyDeleteWhoops, wrong gmail account.
ReplyDeleteahhh Starcraft 2 ... I don't have it, but I can understand.
ReplyDelete