Blah blah blah apologies for last week. My workload went CRAZY. The good news is that (a) No class tomorrow and (b) I spent an hour and a half collecting signatures from deans/professors/advisors so I could switch calculus sections away from a professor causing that craziness. So from now I should be good.
Saturday or so I made a terrible decision, especially in light of the fact that at that point my possible workload was still at a level capable of making me explode. It may prove to be among the worst decisions of my academic career. I bought Minecraft.
While playing Minecraft, I had someone come up behind me and ask what the point of it was. I had trouble explaining it. As far as I can tell, mostly it's about me getting rid of gray blocks so I can find blocks with brown streaks in them. Brown-streak rocks are like gray blocks but they make me extremely excited as soon as they appear, so that's good. Sometimes, of course, I don't find any. Then I have to break more gray rocks in retribution.
Of course, there's more to Minecraft than just mining. Sometimes, for instance, you want to take your blocks and put them on top of each other to build some kind of house. If you're like me, this is an exciting enterprise, as it will allow you to be outside without being murdered by zombies, exploding zombies, cows, or exploding cows. So it's no surprise that once I had my walls up, I elected to stay behind in my house during the night. I would complete the ceiling while I lounged in safety behind my stone fortresses. Yet, it was only a few minutes after sunset when my screen flashed, and I turned around to find myself face to face with a zombie, thankfully a fairly non-volatile one. I pull out my stone sword and proceed to beat him to death. Turning the corner, I find a skeleton, armed with the science of projectile weapons far beyond my ken. Just like that one dude's monologue about bows and arrows in Iron Man, he kills me. (If I could find any goddamn iron, I'd craft an Iron Man suit.)
Respawning, I rush back to my house. Yet, it's clear the place is compromised. Despite my walls and my calculations, my stronghold had been penetrated. How could this happen? I decided that before retreating to my secure mine shaft, I would return to my house to gather my things and assess the weakness that opened it to intrusion. I run up to it, walk through the door--the door. The door. That door. The door that I didn't bother opening because it was already, uh, ajar. Fully ajar. The door open.
Well. Fuck.
Other than that, Minecraft is fun. It's instilling in me a love of life's simple pleasures, like pieces of rock that aren't gray. It is also ruining my physics education. I am not sure that, in the real world, you can build a tower by jumping up in the air and putting things under you. In addition, I also don't think it would be a viable way to build an overnight shelter. On the other hand, I feel like I could successfully be a miner now. It is apparently not very hard--the main problem being that your pickaxes break down.But since I farm something like a hundred pickaxes' worth of stone for every stone pickax, I have a feeling I won't have any supply problems in a while.
I think I'm going to restart now--first of all so I can play on this Linux partition, and second because I got lost in my other game. I feel like I can easily get back to where I was--and rebuild that house. And then another house. And then a castle and a tower and soon Zachlavia, the greatest nation this world has ever known, and no man shall stand against my might. IT HAS BEGUN.
Monday, January 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment