Friday, January 14, 2011

Where Have We Heard This Before?

I'm a bad blogger. Arguably, there aren't a lot of good bloggers, and so I shouldn't be ashamed of this. But at no point have I ever really had a solid update schedule. At no point have I actually kept up blogging for more than like a week. I just left this thing for like two months without so much as a Happy-New-Year post. Hell, I'm not sure I tweeted.

I can't blame lack of material. I haven't written anything about: Wikileaks, all the movies I've seen, the holidays, the War on Christmas, New Year's, the Giffords shooting, or my rediscovery of the free downloadable game Death Worm. I haven't talked about that book I read, or the other book I read, or my experience since installing Ubuntu or my new girlfriend.

I can blame finals, somewhat. But finals were over a lonnnng time ago--school for me restarts Tuesday. But that's maybe a justification for a week of hiatus, not a silence.

I like blogging, I do. Partly it's because I like writing. I think I'm good at it, and so it's the sort of thing I like doing FOR THE ART OF IT. But I've yet to be able to stick with it. Honestly, my life is littered with things like that. I've got multiple books on learning C and C++ programming, which I never did. I can't even bothered to put in the effort it would take to get good at Starcraft II.

I'm going to make a temporary, wholly ridiculous stab at the problem: I think that I ought to come up with a different schedule. First, I was trying "whenever I feel like it". Then it was "every day, unless I don't feel like it for a month or three". This had a few problems. First, a self-defined schedule, free from the influence of the calendar, meant that I could easily procrastinate. Second, I ran out of things to talk about. Third, I put too much emphasis on the "humanist" part, I feel--somehow part of me felt like every post had to be some socio-political-philosophical essay, which was a poor approach.

So, it's 12:39 AM, a time when no bad decisions ever get made and commitments stick, right? And I'm here to say that Geeky Humanist is back (again) and we're going to try to stay that way. I'm declaring a Monday/Wednesday/Friday update schedule, with smaller updates between if serious shit goes down. If I want to skip, I have to post explaining why I'm skipping. Hopefully, this keeps me honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment